Dong Il Paper in Ansan, South Korea has successfully started up its containerboard machine after installation of an OptiLayer multilayer curtain coater supplied by Metso. The OptiLayer coater enables the mill to produce a totally new coated containerboard grade.
“Multilayer curtain coating technology enables production of a coated white top liner from a completely unbleached recycled fiber source without a white top fiber layer. The quality of this new grade is similar to traditional coated or uncoated white top liner, but can be produced at significantly lower raw material cost,” says Jin Doo Kim, Vice President, Dong Il Paper.
Multilayer curtain coating technology, developed by Metso and Dow Chemicals together, provides good coverage and makes it possible to tailor the surface properties of the product. This technology has no speed limitations and offers several advantages over single-layer curtain coating and other conventional coating methods. The advantages include:
- Excellent ability to apply very thin and uniform coating layers with good coverage, allowing optimization of both product quality and cost.
- Many functional layers can be applied simultaneously at one coating station, thus reducing coating-related drying and space needs.
- Superior runnability, with non-contact coating and no breaks at the coater.
- The coated width can be adjusted to the width of the sheet, thus reducing coating losses.
- OptiAir vacuum degassing technology guarantees defect-free application of the coating layers.
|Product Category||Curtain Coaters|
|Product Name||OptiLayer Curtain Coater|
|Automation / Control||Automatic|