High Density Concrete is a very cost-effective solution to lead brick shielding that would normally be used in new or upgraded construction linear accelerator vaults or rooms. The significant attenuation provided by high density blocks significantly reduces the amount of shielding necessary to obtain the desired protection levels. When comparing normal concrete to MarShield’s high density blocks, less space is required for high density concrete blocks that is usually required for concrete vaults. Hospitals have been looking for ways to avoid negative health issues or environmental challenges associated with lead. They are now discovering that high density concrete blocks are the best choice for environmentally safe radiation protection.
MarShield can provide high density concrete blocks up to 300 pounds per cubic foot. High density concrete gives a composite shield for both neutron and gamma radiation. High density aggregates are the key ingredient in high density concrete. The most common aggregates used to achieve the required densities are Hematite (Fe2O3), Ilmenite (FeO TiO2), Magnetite (Fe3O4) and Steel Aggregate.
The advantages or benefits to these modular HD blocks are:
- Easy and quick to, install, remove, and re-install if necessary.
- MarShield offers smaller sizes for lighter weight and easier handling.
- Construction is not labor intensive, design is flexible, and does not omit hazardous dust emissions during installation.
- Blocks are environmentally safe to handle and use with no disposal concerns as material is non toxic.
- Blocks are dry stacked
- Accelerated depreciation
- No concrete curing time
- Little to no steel reinforcement and no formwork
- Space saving offer regular concrete
- Easy to transport and store on worksite, unaffected by weather.