Mobile traffic volumes are expected to increase exponentially through 2020 and beyond. For mobile backhaul, the evolution from LTE to LTE-Advanced and 5G will increasingly demand higher capacity and lower latency capabilities from operators’ networks. Based on the GSMA 5G report, user terminal speeds are expected to exceed 1 Gbps. End-to-end latency of less than 10 ms will be required to enable delay-sensitive and interactive applications. By 2020 it is expected a 22 fold increase of mobile video traffic putting stringent requirements in terms of capacity and performance on backhaul networks. Therefore, backhaul networks need to be designed to absorb the expected rise in traffic volume utilizing routers with high capacity and radio-aligned advanced features at lowest possible latency.
The Ericsson Router 6000 series is a radio integrated, Service Provider SDN enabled IP transport portfolio managed by a single end to end management system. It delivers high performance connectivity for LTE, LTE-Advanced, 5G, for all applications. The Router 6000 series comprises a set of versatile routers offering the right capacities, resiliency features, and form factors for the diverse and challenging demands of modern backhaul networks with unprecedented quality of experience.
The Ericsson Router 6000 series is a key component of and is tightly integrated with the Ericsson Radio System including Ericsson Radio and Microwave. Service Provider SDN capabilities in the Router 6000 series bring a new dimension of application-aware traffic engineering to access and aggregation networks.
Ericsson Network Manager can be used to manage the complete end-to-end radio access network including radio, fronthaul and backhaul connectivity. This enables seamless plug-and-play capabilities for radio and router installation as well as for network operation.
The key benefits of Ericsson Router 6000 series:
Designed for 5G
- Optimized for 10Gbps interfaces meeting the requirements of future network architectures
- High throughput, low latency and best-in-class buffering capacity prepared for future traffic growth and unprecedented quality of experience
- Hardware-accelerated IPSec to offer distributed security gateway function
- High accuracy and stable internal clock is designed for synchronization of 5G radio networks and removes the need of additional GPS receivers
Purpose Built for Ericsson Radio System
- Verified and documented solution with Ericsson Radio System
- Common management of all Ericsson Radio System components
- Aligned Ericsson Radio System building practices for simplified network rollouts
- Ubiquitous security
- Fan-less and filter-less design for installations in challenging environmental conditions and to minimize maintenance costs
- Indoor and outdoor versions to support various network installation scenarios
- Zero-touch provisioning for simplified deployment
- SDN-ready to expose service capabilities to diverse applications in order to automate end-to-end service provisioning and creation
- Hierarchical high-scale QoS and network slicing are enablers for new services and top service quality assurance
- Segment routing for future SDN-based architectures to enable simplicity, better scale and utilization of network infrastructure