Application-specific software module for evaluating display quality in augmented (AR) and virtual reality (VR) devices
Displays viewed near to the eye create immersive virtual experiences, such as those integrated into AR/VR devices. However, as display images are magnified to fill a user's field of view (FOV), display defects are also magnified. Issues with uniformity of brightness and color, dead pixels, line defects, cloudiness, and image position become more evident to the user whose eyes are merely centimeters away from display screens.
Part of the Radiant Vision Systems TrueTest™ Software family, the TT-ARVR module provides all of the benefits of TrueTest Software to efficiently perform light, color, and dimensional measurements with specific tests to evaluate the quality of displays integrated into AR, VR, and MR (mixed reality) devices and headsets. A comprehensive AR/VR display test solution from Radiant combines the TT-ARVR application-specific software module, a ProMetric® Imaging Colorimeter or Photometer, and the Radiant AR/VR lens to perform rapid, automated visual inspection of AR/VR displays.
TT-ARVR uses a ProMetric imager to test all display characteristics simultaneously, capturing and processing data much faster and more consistently than a human inspector or a spot measurement device.
TT-ARVR Module Key Features and Highlights:
- Quickly apply pre-defined tests for AR/VR display measurement.
- Accurate analysis of spatial data from images captured by wide-field-of-view optics.
- Software test sequencing and API device integration to control display test images in conjunction with software analyses, enabling automated production-level testing.
- Spatial x,y positions reported in degrees (°); note image position within the context of vertical and horizontal FOV.
- Data analysis functions, including bitmaps, isoplots, and cross-sections.
TTT-ARVR enables evaluation of displays as they are viewed by a user through AR/VR headsets, with absolute luminance and chromaticity measurements for quality control based on human perception.
- Evaluate NEDs in AR/VR device assemblies.
- Use with any Radiant ProMetric Imaging Colorimeter or Photometer and AR/VR lens.
- Measure absolute luminance and chromaticity of projected images.
- Test image clarity; characterize distortion and MTF over the FOV.
- Measure points of interest at x,y positions in angular space.