Application-specific software module for evaluating the quality of head-up display system projections
Head-up displays (HUDs) pose unique measurement challenges for manufacturers, who must account for projected image luminance, contrast, and clarity regardless of ambient conditions, virtual image positions, or focal distances on an infinite viewing plane. Comprehensive HUD testing requires both photometric (light data) and dimensional (spatial data) measurement combined to ensure the accuracy of information conveyed to a vehicle operator within a rapidly changing, real-world environment.
Part of the Radiant Vision Systems TrueTest™ Software family, the TT-HUD module provides all of the benefits of TrueTest Software to efficiently perform light, color, and dimensional measurements with specific tests used to evaluate the quality of augmented projections, such as those emitted by head-up display (HUD) systems. A comprehensive HUD test solution from Radiant combines the TT-HUD application-specific software module, and a ProMetric® Imaging Colorimeter or Photometer with 200 mm electronically controlled lens to perform rapid, automated visual inspection of head-up displays.
TT-HUD uses a ProMetric imaging system to test all HUD characteristics simultaneously, capturing and processing data much faster and more consistently than a spot measurement device or machine vision system alone or combined. In a single hardware/software system, TT-HUD can be used to evaluate all visual aspects of the HUD system as well as test to the specific parameters documented in automotive standards:
TT-HUD Module Key Features and Highlights:
- SAE J1757-1 "Standard Metrology for Vehicular Displays"
- SAE J1757-2 "Optical System HUD for Automotive"
- ISO/TC 22/SC 35/WG 3 "Lighting and Visibility"
- Quickly apply pre-defined tests for advanced HUD measurement.
- Software test sequencing and API device integration to control display test images in conjunction with software analyses, enabling automated production-level testing.
- Apply tolerances and obtain pass/fail data to enable in-line quality control.
- Supports Society of Automotive Engineers standard requirements for HUD measurement (SAE J1757-1) and methodology (SAE J1757-2), as well as standard requirements for HUD visibility from the International Organization for Standardization (ISO/TC 22/SC 35/WG 3, Visibility).
- Single test suite captures luminance, chromaticity, and dimensional measurement data for analysis.
- Data analysis functions, including bitmaps, isoplots, and cross-sections.