The PCI Express (PCIe) 3.0 LPe16002B Gen 5 Fibre Channel (16GFC) Host Bus Adapter (HBA) provides outstanding input/output operations per second (IOPS) performance—20% more than other Gen 5 HBAs, plus lightning fast response times and 4x better IOPS performance per watt making it the clear choice for the toughest virtualized, cloud and mission critical deployments. With almost 1.2 million IOPS on a single port, it is ideally suited for FC connectivity to solid state disks (SSDs) and new multi-core processors. Its advanced management functionality can shave days off installing and managing adapters.
The single-port LPe16000B and dual-port LPe16002B feature the bullet-proof driver-stack, backward compatibility to 4GFC and 8GFC HBAs and rocksolid reliability with a heritage that spans back to the first generation of Fibre Channel to today’s Gen 5 HBAs. Emulex is trusted by data centers the world-over, with more than 12 million HBA ports shipped and installed to date.
*For more information on Emulex Gen 5 Performance Application benefits, please refer to these papers (Left to Right)
- Box 1 –Source: Emulex Labs
- Box 2 - Source: Demartek/IBM paper
- Box 3 –Source: VMware Whitepaper
- Box 4 –Source: ESG Lab Evaluation Paper
Proven Design, Architecture and Interface
Advanced error-checking features ensure the integrity of block data as it traverses the storage area network (SAN). The firmware-based architecture enables feature and performance upgrades without costly hardware changes. The unique 4th Generation Service Level Interface (SLI™) allows use of a common driver across all models of Emulex HBAs on a given operating system (OS) platform. Installation and management facilities are designed to minimize server reboots and further simplify deployment.
Powerful Management Software for Maximum Data Center Efficiency
The OneCommand® Manager enterprise class management application features a multiprotocol, cross-platform architecture that provides centralized management of all adapters provided by Emulex. This enables IT administrators to manage network connectivity with one tool for maximum efficiency.
The LPe16000B also features:
- OneCommand® Manager plug-in for VMware vCenter Server—enables comprehensive control of Fibre Channel HBAs and network (FCoE, iSCSI and TCP/IP NIC) connectivity solutions provided by Emulex from VMware’s vCenter Server management console. Emulex OneCommand Manager plug-in for VMware vCenter Server supports both the new VMware vSphere 5.1 Web Client and the VMware vCenter Server desktop client with an identical feature set regardless of the client.
- Maximum performance—up to 1.2 million IOPS on a single port
- Simplified and time-saving diagnostics of storage network connectivity by using Brocade ClearLink supported Switches and Emulex HBAs
- Ability to meet SLAs and ensure Quality of Service for prioritized traffic with Emulex ExpressLane™
- Improves IT staff productivity through simplified deployment and management
- Reduces the number of cards, cables and PCIe slots required
- Exceptional performance per watt and price/ performance ratios
- Integrates seamlessly into existing SANs
- Allows application of SAN best practices, tools and processes with virtual server deployments
- PCIe 3.0 bus increases interconnect performance bandwidth by 2x compared to PCIe 2.0; the new encoding scheme reduces overhead by 20% resulting in more efficient data transfers and power efficiency
- vScale™ performance and scalability—multi-core ASIC engine with eight cores supports 255 virtual functions (VFs), 1024 Message Signaled Interrupts eXtended (MSI-X) and 8192 logins/open exchanges for maximum virtual machine (VM) density—up to 4x more than other adapters
- 2x management functionality, and takes half the time to manage with OneCommand® Manager
- GreenState™ power efficiency—reduces data center power consumption and associated OPEX by delivering
- up to 4x better IOPS performance/watt
- BlockGuard® data integrity offload— high performance T10 PI end-to-end data integrity protects against silent data corruption
- vEngine™ CPU offload—lowers CPU burden on host server, enabling support for more VMs
- Rock-solid reliability and thermal characteristics,
- essential for mission-critical, cloud and virtualized applications
- Support for MSI-X, improves host utilization and enhances application performance
- Support for Gen 5 (16GFC), 8GFC and 4GFC devices
- Comprehensive virtualization capabilities with support for N_Port ID Virtualization (NPIV) and Windows virtual HBAs
- Secure management with role-based administration integrated with Light Directory Access Protocol (LDAP) and Active Directory (AD) services
- Common driver model, allows a single driver to support all Emulex HBAs on a given OS
- Doubling the maximum FC link rate from 8GFC to 16GFC and enhanced virtualization capabilities, help support IT “green” initiatives.
- Frame-level multiplexing and out-of-order frame reassembly increases link efficiency and maximizes HBA performance.
Data Protection Features
- End-to-end data protection with hardware parity, CRC, ECC and other advanced error checking and correcting algorithms ensure data is safe from corruption.
- Enhanced silent data corruption protection provided by T10 Protection Information (T10 PI) with highperformance offload. T10 PI provides additional protection against corruption in Oracle Unbreakable Linux environments.
Deployment and Management Features
- Universal boot capability allows the appropriate boot environment to be automatically selected for any given hardware.
- Boot from SAN capability reduces system management costs and increases uptime.
- Detailed, real-time event logging and tracing enables quick diagnosis of SAN problems.
- Beaconing feature flashes the HBA LEDs, simplifying their identification within server racks.
- Environmental monitoring feature helps optimize SAN availability.
- The Emulex OneCommand Manager application enables centralized discovery, monitoring, reporting, and administration of HBAs and CNAs provided by Emulex on local and remote hosts. Powerful automation capabilities facilitate remote driver parameter, firmware and boot code upgrades.
- Advanced diagnostic features, such as adapter port beaconing and adapter statistics, help optimize management and network performance, while the environmental monitoring feature helps to maintain optimum host-to-fabric connections. In addition to the GUI interface, management functions can also be performed via a scriptable Command Line Interface (CLI) as well as a web browser.
- Troubleshoot optics and cables before critical errors affect your system with Brocade ClearLink supported Switches and Emulex HBAs.
- Meet SLAs and QoS with ExpressLane application prioritization on hosts. ExpressLane is fully compatible with majority of switches offering QoS features.
- OneCommand Manager supports role-based management to facilitate administration of adapters throughout the data center without compromising security. Management privileges can be assigned based on LDAP and AD group memberships.
- Emulex’s management instrumentation complies to open management standards, such as SMI-S and common HBA API support, which enables seamless upward integration into enterprise storage and server management solutions. 14-5150 • 7/14