The MIC4685 is a high-efficiency 200kHz stepdown (buck) switching regulator. Power conversion efficiency of above 85% is easily obtainable for a wide variety of applications. The MIC4685 achieves 3A of continuous current in the 7-lead SPAK package.
The thermal performance of the SPAK allows it to replace TO-220s and TO-263s (D2 PAKs) in many applications. The SPAK saves board space with a 36% smaller footprint than TO-263.
High efficiency is maintained over a wide output current range by utilizing a boost capacitor to increase the voltage available to saturate the internal power switch. As a result of this high efficiency, only the ground plane of the PCB is needed for a heat sink.
The MIC4685 allows for a high degree of safety. It has a wide input voltage range of 4V to 30V (34V transient), allowing it to be used in applications where input voltage transients may be present. Built-in safety features include over-current protection, frequency-foldback short-circuit protection, and thermal shutdown.
The MIC4685 is available in an 7-lead SPAK package with a junction temperature range of -40°C to +125°C.
- Low 2mm profile SPAK package
- 3A continuous output current
- Wide input voltage range: 4V to 30V (34V transient)
- Fixed 200kHz PWM operation
- Over 85% efficiency
- Output voltage adjustable to 1.235V
- All surface mount solution
- Internally compensated with fast transient response
- Over-current protection
- Frequency foldback short-circuit protection
- Thermal shutdown