The KSZ8842-series of 2-port switches includes PCI and non-PCI CPU interfaces.
The datasheet describes the KSZ8842-PMQL/PMBL PCI CPU interface chips. KSZ8842-PMQL is PQFP package chip, KSZ8842-PMBL is LFBGA package chip. For information on the KSZ8842-MQL/MBL CPU non-PCI interface switches, refer to the KSZ8842-MQL/MBL datasheet.
The KSZ8842-PMQL/PMBL is the industry's first fully managed 2-port switch with a 32-bit/33MHz PCI processor interface. It is a proven, 4th generation, integrated Layer 2 switch that is compliant with the IEEE 802.3u standard. An industrial temperature grade version of the KSZ8842-PMQL/PMBL, also can be ordered the KSZ8842-PMQLI/PMBL AM. The KSZ8842-PMQL/PMBL can be configured as a switch or as a low-latency (<310 nanoseconds) repeater in latency-critical, embedded or industrial Ethernet applications.
For industrial automation applications, the KSZ8842-PMQL/PMBL can run in half-duplex mode regardless of the application. The KSZ8842-PMQL/PMBL offers an extensive feature set that includes tag/port-based VLAN, quality of service (QoS) priority management, management information base (MIB) counters, and CPU control/data interfaces to effectively address Fast Ethernet applications. The KSZ8842-PMQL/PMBL contains two 10/100 transceivers with patented, mixed-signal, low-power technology three media access control (MAC) units, a direct memory access (DMA) channel, a high-speed, non-blocking, switch fabric, a dedicated 1K entry forwarding table, and an on-chip frame buffer memory.
Microchip's complimentary and confidential LANCheck® online design review service is available for customers who have selected our products for their application design-in. The LANCheck online design review service is subject to Microchip's Program Terms and Conditions and requires a myMicrochip account.
Please consider this device KSZ8852
Comprehensive Register Access
Advanced Switch Management
- Non-blocking switch fabric assures fast packet delivery by utilizing a 1K entry MAC Address look-up engine and a store-and-forward architecture
- Fully compliant with IEEE 802.3u standards
- Full-duplex IEEE 802.3x flow control (Pause) with force mode option
- Half-duplex back pressure flow control
- IEEE 802.1Q VLAN support for up to 16 groups (full-range of VLAN IDs)
- VLAN ID tag/untag options, per port basis
- IEEE 802.1p/Q tag insertion or removal on a per-port basis (egress)
- Programmable rate limiting at the ingress and egress port
- Broadcast storm protection
- IEEE 802.1d spanning tree protocol support
- MAC filtering function to filter unicast packets
- Unknown MAC address forwarding function
- Direct forwarding mode enabling the processor to identify the ingress port and to specify the egress port
- IGMP v1/v2 snooping support for multicast packet filtering
- IPV6 Multicast Listener Discovery (MLD) snooping support
- Management information base (MIB) counters for fully compliant statistics gathering: 32 MIB counters per port
- Loop back modes for remote failure diagnostics
QoS/CoS Packets Prioritization Support
- There are three kinds of register groups:
- The PCI configuration registers are used to initialize and configure the PCI interface
- The PCI control/status registers are used to communicate between the host and KSZ8842-PMQL/PMBL
- Switch registers are used to support transceiver control and status. They are configurable on-the-fly (port-priority, 802.1p/d/Q, etc.)
Power Modes, Packaging, and Power Supplies
- Per port, 802.1p and DiffServ based
- Re-mapping of 802.1p priority field on a per port basis
- Full-chip hardware power-down (register configuration not saved) provides for low power dissipation
- Per port-based software power-save on PHY (idle link detection, register configuration preserved)
- Single power supply: 3.3V
- Commercial Temperature Range: 0°C to +70°C
- Industrial Temperature Range: -40°C to +85°C
- Available in 128-pin PQFP and 100-ball LFBGA