The KSZ8862M is 2-port switch with fiber support, available in 8-/16-bit and 32-bit bus designs.
The KSZ8862M is an industry first, fully managed, 2-port switch. It is based on a proven, 4th generation, integrated Layer-2 switch, compliant with IEEE 802.3u standards. For industrial applications, the KSZ8862M can run in half-duplex mode regardless of the application. In fiber mode, port 1 can be configurable to either 100BASE-FX or 100BASE-SX/10BASE-FL. The LED driver and post amplifier are also included for 10Base-FL and 100Base-SX applications. In copper mode, port 2 supports 10/100BASE-T/TX with HP Auto MDI/MDI-X for reliable detection of and correction for straight-through and crossover cables.
Microchip's proprietary LinkMD® Time Domain Reflectometry (TDR) based function is also available for determining the cable length, as well as cable diagnostics for identifying faulty cabling. The KSZ8862M offers an extensive feature set that includes tag/port-based VLAN, quality of service (QoS) priority management, management information base (MIB) counters, and CPU control/data interfaces to effectively address Fast Ethernet applications.
The KSZ8862M contains:
- Two 10/100 transceivers with patented, mixed-signal, low-power technology
- Two media access control (MAC) units
- Direct memory access (DMA) channel
- High-speed, non-blocking, switch fabric
- Dedicated 1K entry forwarding table
- On-chip frame buffer memory
When using the provided KSZ8462 software driver, please exclude the 1588 PTP code at compile time.
Microchip's complimentary and confidential LANCheck® online design review service is available for customers who have selected our products for their application design-in. The LANCheck online design review service is subject to Microchip's Program Terms and Conditions and requires a myMicrochip account.
Advanced Switch Management
- Non-blocking switch fabric assures fast packet delivery by utilizing a 1K entry forwarding table and a store-and-forward architecture
- Fully compliant with IEEE 802.3u standards
- Full-duplex IEEE 802.3x flow control (Pause) with force mode option
- Half-duplex back pressure flow control
- IEEE 802.1Q VLAN support for up to 16 groups (full range of VLAN IDs)
- VLAN ID tag/untag options, on a per port basis
- IEEE 802.1p/Q tag insertion or removal on a per port basis (egress)
- Programmable rate limiting at the ingress and egress ports
- Broadcast storm protection
- IEEE 802.1d spanning tree protocol support
- MAC filtering function to filter or forward unknown unicast packets
- Direct forwarding mode enabling the processor to identify the ingress port and to specify the egress port
- Internet Group Management Protocol (IGMP) v1/v2 snooping support for multicast packet filtering
- IPV6 Multicast Listener Discovery (MLD) snooping support
- Integrated LED driver and post amplifier for 10BASE-FL and 100BASE-SX optical modules
- 100BASE-FX/SX and 10BASE-FL fiber support on port 1
Comprehensive Register Access
- Port mirroring/monitoring/sniffing: ingress and/or egress traffic to any port
- MIB counters for fully compliant statistics gathering - 34 MIB counters per port
- Loopback modes for remote failure diagnostics
QoS/CoS Packets Prioritization Support
- Control registers configurable on-the-fly (port-priority, 802.1p/d/Q)
Power Modes, Packaging, and Power Supplies
- Per port, 802.1p and DiffServ-based
- Remapping of 802.1p priority field on a per port basis
- Full-chip hardware power-down (register configuration not saved) allows low power dissipation
- Per port-based, software power-save on PHY (idle link detection, register configuration preserved)
- Single power supply: 3.3V
- Commercial Temperature Range: 0°C to +70°C
- Industrial Temperature Range: –40°C to +85°C
- (see Ordering Information).
- Available in 128-pin PQFP
- Available in -16 version for 8/16-bit bus support and -32 version for 32-bit bus support (see Ordering Information).