Firmware version 1.33 is the latest production firmware version available for the RN4020. To receive the latest firmware version 1.33, please order part number RN4020-V/RMBEC133.
RN4020-V/RM123 – FW v1.23 Not recommended for new designs, please consider the RN4020-V/RMBEC133.
RN4020-V/RM120 – FW v1.20 Not recommended for new designs, please consider the RN4020-V/RMBEC133.
RN4020-V/RM – FW v1.10 Not recommended for new designs, please consider the RN4020-V/RMBEC133.
For more information about firmware version 1.33, please see the Release Notes.
The RN4020 is a fully-certified, Bluetooth Version 4.1 low energy module for designers who want to easily add low power wireless capability to their products. The small form factor, surface mount module has the complete Bluetooth stack on-board and is controlled via simple ASCII commands over the UART interface. The RN4020 also includes all Bluetooth SIG profiles, as well as MLDP (Microchip Low-energy Data Profile) for custom data. Developers can utilize the scripting feature to enable standalone operation without a host MCU or Processor. The RN4020 can be remote controlled by another module over a secure connection and can be updated via the UART interface or over-the-air.
The RN4020 has a built-in high performance PCB antenna optimally tuned for long range, typically over 100 meters. The compact size, 11.5 x 19.5 x 2.5mm, enables ease of integration in size-constrained applications. The RN4020 can be used with any low cost microcontroller for intelligent Bluetooth Low Energy applications. The RN4020 is fully-certified, has the complete Bluetooth stack on-board the module, and is controlled via a simple ASCII UART interface, making it a true drop-in solution that is easy to use, and easy to prototype, greatly speeding time to market.
Click here to see the PIC24 XLP Bluetooth LE IoT Demo with RN4020 module and PIC24FJ128GB204 MCU!
Available iOS Applications for the RN4020:
Bluetooth Smart Discover
Microchip’s Smart Discover for iPhone or iPad provides the ability to scan and connect to nearby Microchip Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) peripherals, listen to BLE broadcasters and more.
Bluetooth Smart Data
Microchip’s Smart Data provides the ability to scan, connect and exchange data between an iPhone or iPad and the RN4020 with Microchip’s Low Energy Data Profile (MLDP).
Android source code is available for the RN4020. Contact your local sales office to request free source code.
For the latest firmware details and corresponding part numbers, please visit: www.microchip.com/wirelessfirmware
- Fully-certified Bluetooth® version 4.1 module
- On-board embedded Bluetooth low energy stack
- Simple ASCII command interface over UART
- Multiple IOs for control and status
- Secure AES128 encryption
- GAP,GATT,SM, L2CAP and integrated public profiles
- Create custom services using command API
- Data streaming with Microchip's Low Energy Data Profile (MLDP)
- Scripting for standalone module operation with analog and digital data collection
- 7 dBm transit power for 100m+ range
- Field-upgradeable via the UART interface or over-the-air
- Software configurable role as peripheral or central, client or server
- Compact form factor 11.5 x 19.5 x 2.5mm
- Low power modes
- UART interface, GPIO, ADC
- 64KB internal serial flash
- Castellated SMT pads for easy and reliable PCB mounting
- Environmentally friendly, RoHS compliant
- Certifications: FCC, IC, CE, QDID