The GM Series GNSS receiver module is a self-contained high-performance Global Satellite Navigation System receiver designed for navigation, tracking and positioning applications. Based on the MediaTek chipset, it can simultaneously acquire and track multiple satellite constellations. These include the United States GPS system, Europe’s GALILEO, Russia’s GLONASS and Japan’s QZSS.
The module provides exceptional sensitivity, even in dense foliage and urban canyons. It’s very low power consumption of 16mA while tracking helps maximize runtimes in battery powered applications. The module has built-in receiver duty cycling that can be configured to periodically turn off the module for further power savings. Hybrid ephemeris prediction can be used to achieve cold start times of less than 15 seconds.
A standard UART serial interface is used to send and receive NMEA messages in ASCII format. A simple serial command set can be used to configure optional features. The module’s UART can be connected directly to the UART on a microcontroller or a PC using a USB or RS-232 converter chip.
Housed in a tiny reflow-compatible SMD package, the GNSS receiver module requires no programming or additional RF components (except an antenna) to form a complete GNSS solution. This makes the GM Series easy to integrate, even by engineers without previous RF or GNSS experience.
- Low power: 16mA tracking supply current (less than half of competitive modules). Duty cycle mode to further reduce power consumption.
- Quick start times: cold start under 15 seconds using AGPS (3-day satellite prediction); hot start under 1 second
- Better reliability: tracks multiple positioning systems simultaneously
- Simplify design: modules and antennas are the only RF components you need; no tuning required
- Easy integration: easy to integrate, even by engineers who have no prior experience with GPS modules
- Streamline production: save time and money with modules that are already tested
- Rapid development: development system allows full interfacing and color display
- Positioning and navigation
- Location and tracking
- Security / loss-prevention
- Fleet management