The USB2230 is a 5th Generation USB 2.0 composite device that provides an interface between a single USB Host port and all mainstream Flash Card Media interfaces as well as an IrDA controller.
The USB2230 features xD-Picture Card™ format support for licensees of that format.
The USB2230 provides a single chip solution for the most prevalent options for transfer of digital pictures - popular flash memory cards and IrDA transfers from mobile phone cameras.
The device consists of a USB 2.0 device PHY and SIE, buffers, Fast 8051 microprocessor with expanded scratchpad, and program SRAM, and CF, MS, SM and SD controllers. The device can support up to 4 slot memory operation and has the card power MOSFETS integrated on chip.
Provision for external Flash Memory up to 128K bytes for program storage is provided.
WHQL File Number - USB-IF Test ID# - xD-Picture Card Certification
977142 40000001 AA-PG0103
- USB 2.0 HS/FS Transceiver
- Three short circuit protected card power FETs targeted for use with the Secure Digital/MultimediaCard, Memory Stick and Smart Media/xD-Picture Card slots
- A Bi-directional Control and a Bi-directional Bulk Endpoint are provided
- Internal or External Program Memory Interfaces
- 64K Byte Internal ROM Code Space or Optional 64K Byte External Code Space using Flash, SRAM or EPROM memory
- 15 GPIOs for special function use: LED indicators, button inputs, power control to memory devices, etc.
- Inputs capable of generating interrupts with either edge sensitivity
- Compatible with Microsoft WinXP, WinME, Win2K SP3, Apple OS10, Softconnex and Linux Multi-LUN Mass Storage Class Drivers
- Win2K, Win98/98SE and Apple OS8.6 and OS9 Multi-LUN Mass Storage Class Drivers available from Microchip
- WinXP IRDA driver provided, Linux and Win2K drivers planned
- 128 Pin VTQFP Package (1.0mm height, 14mm x14mm footprint); Green package also available
- Customers benefit from the high quality on chip ROM code that is compatibility and compliance tested for the latest format support.
- Card compatibility testing across manufacturers ensures good end customer experience and obsoletes the need for flash program memory except for systems with custom features.
- Mask ROM operation enables lowest cost for embedded Flash Card Reader Applications.
- Integrated card power FETs decrease BOM cost and increase reliability when embedded into larger systems.
- Firmware and hardware low power features enable USB bus powered applications and portable applications by configuration from EEPROM.
- Flexible program memory and configuration options provide the greatest flexibility for adding features or enabling upgrade of features in the field via USB bus.
- New levels of integration with on chip short circuit protected card power MOSFETS to reduce BOM costs to the minimum.
- Strong Flash Media Read/Write performance enables the benefits of USB 2.0 transfer speeds to be realized by end customers.
- Robust silicon design enables two layer board design for 4 slot card readers.
*Note: In order to develop, make, use, or sell readers and/or other products using or incorporating any of the Microchip devices made the subject of this document or to use related Microchip software programs, technical information and licenses under patent and other intellectual property rights from or through various persons or entities, including without limitation media standard companies, forums, and associations, and other patent holders may be required. These media standard companies, forums, and associations include without limitation the following: Sony Corporation (Memory Stick, Memory Stick Pro); SD3 LLC (Secure Digital); MultiMedia Card Association (MultiMediaCard); the SSFDC Forum (SmartMedia); the Compact Flash Association (Compact Flash); and Fuji Photo Film Co., Ltd., Olympus Optical Co., Ltd., and Toshiba Corporation (xD-Picture Card). Microchip does not make such licenses or technical information available; does not promise or represent that any such licenses or technical information will actually be obtainable from or through the various persons or entities (including the media standard companies, forums, and associations), or with respect to the terms under which they may be made available; and is not responsible for the accuracy or sufficiency of, or otherwise with respect to, any such technical information.
Microchip's obligations (if any) under the Terms of Sale Agreement, or any other agreement with any customer, or otherwise, with respect to infringement, including without limitation any obligations to defend or settle claims, to reimburse for costs, or to pay damages, shall not apply to any of the devices made the subject of this document or any software programs related to any of such devices, or to any combinations involving any of them, with respect to infringement or claimed infringement of any existing or future patents related to solid state disk or other flash memory technology or applications ("Solid State Disk Patents"). By making any purchase of any of the devices made the subject of this document, the customer represents, warrants, and agrees that it has obtained all necessary licenses under then-existing Solid State Disk Patents for the manufacture, use and sale of solid state disk and other flash memory products and that the customer will timely obtain at no cost or expense to Microchip all necessary licenses under Solid State Disk Patents; that the manufacture and testing by or for Microchip of the units of any of the devices made the subject of this document which may be sold to the customer, and any sale by Microchip of such units to the customer, are valid exercises of the customer's rights and licenses under such Solid State Disk Patents; that Microchip shall have no obligation for royalties or otherwise under any Solid State Disk Patents by reason of any such manufacture, use, or sale of such units; and that Microchip shall have no obligation for any costs or expenses related to the customer's obtaining or having obtained rights or licenses under any Solid State Disk Patents.
Microchip MAKES NO WARRANTIES, EXPRESS, IMPLIED, OR STATUTORY, IN REGARD TO INFRINGEMENT OR OTHER VIOLATION OF INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY RIGHTS. Microchip DISCLAIMS AND EXCLUDES ANY AND ALL WARRANTIES AGAINST INFRINGEMENT AND THE LIKE.
No license is granted by Microchip expressly, by implication, by estoppel or otherwise, under any patent, trademark, copyright, mask work right, trade secret, or other intellectual property right. **To obtain this software program the appropriate Microchip Software License Agreement must be executed and in effect. Forms of these Software License Agreements may be obtained by contacting Microchip.
- USB Composite device - both IrDA and Flash Media Controller functions on one USB port
- USB IrDA Support - complete system solution for interfacing IrDA file transfers to USB:
- IrDA v1.1 FIR and SIR Compliant Controller, with 9.6K, 19.2K, 38.4K, 57.6K, 115.2K, 0.576Mbps, 1.152Mpbs and 4Mbps data rate support
- Flash Format Support - complete system solution for interfacing leading flash media formats to USB bus:
- SmartMedia™ (SM) and XD-Picture Card ™ (xD) versions 1.0, 1.1 and 1.2
- Memory Stick™ (MS), High Speed Memory Stick (HSMS), Memory Stick PRO (MSPRO) and Memory Stick Duo (MSDUO and MSDUO Pro)
- Secure Digital (SD), High Speed Secure Digital and MINI Secure Digital
- MultiMediaCard™ (MMC), Reduced Size MMC (RS-MMC), High Speed MMC (HSMMC 4 bit) and compatible with all versions of MMC 4.0
- NAND Flash
- Compact Flash™ I and II (CF)
- CF form-factor ATA hard drives like Microdrive
- Flash Interface Short Circuit Protection when using internal power control MOSFETs
- Ensures robust operation when embedded in larger and more expensive systems in the PC and Consumer products markets
- BOM Cost Reduction Enhancements:
- Three short circuit protected on chip power MOSFETS for direct power control of the xD-Picture Card, Memory Stick and Secure Digital interfaces (Compact Flash still remains external due to the high current requirements for Microdrives)
- Selectable 24/48MHz clock input option to eliminate external crystal
- Key features:
- Full IrDA SIR And FIR file transfer and network connection speed support
- Supports firmware upgrade via USB bus for systems that use external flash memory
- Compatibilty tested on chip ROM support for the latest flash media specifications:
- SmartMedia Electrical Specification Version 1.40
- SmartMedia Physical Format Specifications Version 1.40
- SmartMedia Logical Format Specifications Version 1.30
- MultiMediaCard System Specification Version 4.0
- SD Memory Card Specifications Version 1.1
- Memory Stick Standard Format Specification Version 1.42-00
- Memory Stick Pro Standard Format Specifications Version 1.01-01
- Memory Stick Duo Standard Format Specifications Version 1.10-00
- Memory Stick Implementation Checklist Procedures Version 1.00-01
- CompactFlash Specification Rev 2.0
- xD-Picture Card Specification Version 1.2
- Hardware support for High Speed Secure Digital and SD Secure
- Features Programmable by Attribute Bit on optional external 256B EEPROM:
- LUN configuration and assignment
- USB SmartDetach™ when no media card is inserted for power savings
- SD Card Write Protect polarity
- SD Card Read Only operation
- Customizable Inquiry Command operation
- LED polarity, blink rate and operation
- Bus or Self Powered
- Forced USB 1.1 reporting
- Boot from Flash Media - Supports USB Bulk Only Mass Storage Compliant Bootable BIOS
- Up to 4 slot operation - Support for simultaneous operation of cards
- On-Chip 4-Bit High Speed Memory Stick and MS PRO Hardware Circuitry
- Photo and MFP Printers
- Desktop PC embedded card readers
- Laptop PC
- Digital Televisions
- Game Consoles
- Digital Media Centers
- Set top box - Home Gateway
- Standalone Card Readers withIrDA