The mPCIe-ICM232 family of cards feature high performance 16C950-class UARTs. Available in 4-port (mPCIe-ICM232-4) and 2-port (mPCIe-ICM232-2) versions, each port is capable of communication speeds up to 921.6kbps and has 128-byte deep transmit and receive FIFOs which protect against data loss in multitasking operating systems, reduce CPU utilization, and improve data throughput. The advanced integrated circuit with pre-scalar supports a wide variety of custom baud rates, and any rates not otherwise achievable can be supported via a custom factory-installed crystal oscillator.
The RS232 ports provided by the card are 100% compatible with every other industry-standard serial COM device, supporting TX, RX, RTS, and CTS. In addition, they provide Tru-Iso™ port-to-port and port-to-PC isolation.
Communication is possible either with custom application software, with off-the-shelf applications (such as HyperTerminal), or with provided samples and utilities, including WinRISC™ (“Windows Really Incredibly Simple Communication).
The serial ports on the device are accessed using a low-profile, latching, 5-pin Hirose connector. Optional breakout cables are available, and bring each port connection to a panel-mountable DB9-M with an industry compatible RS232 pin-out.
The mPCIe-ICM232 Series is especially useful in applications where high common-mode external voltages are present. Isolation is required to guard electronics from transient voltage spikes and offers greater common-mode noise rejection in surroundings containing industrial machinery and inductive loads. These applications include factory automation, energy management, industrial ON/OFF control, security systems, manufacturing test, and process monitoring. Careful attention has been paid to isolation design, including extensive keep-out zones and hand-routed circuit paths, as well as component and material selection. The mPCIe-ICM232 Series can be used in the following markets.
- Health and Medical Systems
- Point of Sale (POS)
- Automated Retail Kiosks
- Embedded Systems
- Traffic Systems
- Factory Automation and Process Control
- PCI Express Mini Card (mPCIe) type F1, with latching I/O connectors
- 4 or 2-port mPCIe RS232 serial cards with optional DB9M connectivity
- 500V isolation port-to-port and 1500V isolation port-to-computer on ALL signals
- High performance 16C950 class UARTs with 128-byte FIFO for each transmit and receive buffer
- Supports data communication rates to 921.6kbps
- Virtually any custom baud rate may be configured by the user via register settings, no custom oscillator needed
- ±15kV ESD protection on all signal pins
- Supports 9-bit data mode
- Supports CTS and RTS
- RoHS and Industrial Temp (-35°C to +85°C) both standard