UMTS, or Universal Mobile Telecommunications System is a 3rd generation mobile technology evolved from GSM technology. It uses W-CDMA (Wideband Code Division Multiple Access) as radio access. With increased spectral efficiency and high bandwidth, UMTS can support broadband data, voice and video. The underlying transport for UMTS in the core network can be Asynchronous Transfer Mode (ATM), or IP.
UMTS supports integrated services such as multimedia and global roaming to mobile users. In essence, UMTS IuPs interface is the Gateway to the World Wide Web. More precisely, IuPs, as shown in the figure, is the interface between the RNC (Radio Network Controller) and the SGSN (Serving GPRS Support Node).
SGSN manages mobile location whether within the carrier's network or roaming outside. Once a user turns on her mobile, a new IP address gets assigned and IP connectivity is available with quality of service (bit rate allocation) based on subscription, and tunnels are created for mobile flows to/from that mobile. These data tunnels carry encapsulated traffic such as http, ftp, email, etc. SMS may also be carried by the signaling plane to/from the mobile. IuPs emulation and analysis can be very important in the design, verification, and troubleshooting of a carrier's mobile data network.
The IP based UMTS network consists of the following components -
- Radio Network Controller (RNC)
- Mobile Switching Centre (MSC)
- Serving GPRS Support Node (SGSN)
- Gateway GPRS Support Node (GGSN)
- Femto Home NodeB (Femto Cell) and Femto Home Node Gateway (HNB-GW)
GL's Message Automation & Protocol Simulation (MAPS™), is a protocol simulation and conformance test tool that supports a variety of protocols such as SIP, MEGACO, ISDN, SS7, GSM, LTE, and many other TDM, IP, and Wireless protocols. MAPS™ has been enhanced for testing UMTS IuPs interface. It can simulate RNC (Radio Network Controller), and 3G SGSN (3G Serving GPRS Support Node) by generating RANAP and DTAP signaling messages over SCTP as Transport layer in an IP network as defined by 3GPP standards.
The application gives the users the unlimited ability to edit messages and control scenarios (message sequence). “Message sequences” are generated through scripts. “Messages” are created using message templates.
The application is available as
- MAPS™ - IuPS (Item # PKS164)
In addition, GL also supports the following UMTS analyzers and simulators:
- MAPS™ UMTS IuCS & IuH Simulators (PKS160)
- T1 or E1 UMTS Protocol Analyzer (XX165)
- Offline UMTS Protocol Analyzer (OLV165)
- OC-3 / STM-1 UMTS Protocol Analysis (LTS206)
- OC-12 / STM-4 UMTS Protocol Analysis (LTS306)
The product also supports Mobile traffic core – GTP (ETH101) simulation for user-plane packet transmission and reception services between any two nodes in LTE and UMTS networks. Mobile Traffic Core – Gateway (ETH102) module allows simulation of Gateway Traffic to test media gateway telephony interfaces over IP. These modules also support generation and verification of data traffic such as Email, FTP, Web (HTTP), Video, and more.
- Simulates RNC, and SGSN entities.
- Generates and supports all Mobility Management, Session Management, RANAP and DTAP messages.
- User controlled access to RANAP, and DTAP messages.
- Ready scripts for Routing Area Updating, GPRS Attach, and Detach procedures for quick testing.
- Supports Authentication, TMSI Reallocation, Encryption, and other optional procedures
- Supports mobile traffic simulation with additional licenses
- Provides fault insertion, and erroneous call flows testing capability.
- Impairments can be applied to messages to simulate error conditions
- Supports customization of call flows and message templates using Script editor and Message editor.
- Supports scripted call generation and automated call reception.
- Provides detail protocol trace with full message decoding, and graphical ladder diagrams of call flow with time stamp
- Call flow graph allows to easily verify the messages exchanged with DUT
- Displays call status, results, call information, total iterations to be done, and completed iterations
- Script based & protocol independent software architecture.
- Provides call statistics and associated captured events and error events during call simulation.