Internet Protocol (IP) Multimedia Subsystem, popularly known as “IMS”, is built on Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) as the base to further support packaging of voice, video, data, fixed, and mobile services on a single platform to end users. It provides a unique convergence platform for different types of networks – whether it is mobile, satellite, broadband, cable, and fixed networks, with a goal of building an efficient interoperating networks.
GL’s MAPS™ SIP IMS test suite provide an advanced full-fledged network environment that enables user to test their applications, devices, and services prior to deployment on a real-time network. It can be used to simulate all or specific elements within IMS network infrastructure using simple ready-to-use test bed setups.
The network architecture shown above outlines the IMS Core Network elements which can be simulated using GL's MAPS™ SIP IMS test tool.
MAPS™ SIP IMS test suite is capable of simulating multiple UEs and IMS core elements such as P-CSCF, I-CSCF, S-CSCF, PCRF, MGCF which provides the IMS core network. With the help of mobile phones, and other simulated wireless networks, the VoLTE Lab setup can be operated in real-time for making VoLTE calls and also for interworking with PSTN and VoIP networks. It includes ready-to-use scripts, as per IETF specification. Test scripts include general messaging and call flow scenarios for multimedia call session setup and control over IP networks. Logging and pass/fail results are also reported. Test cases verify conformance of actions such as registration, call control, proxies and other servers.
Lately, MAPS™ IMS Multi Interface emulator is designed to simulate end-to-end Online and Offline charging procedures, interacting with SIP (UEs) and Diameter (OCS, OFCS) interfaces.
Few of the IMS network entities and their functionalities are:
- P-CSCF – receives requests from UE and then either servers the request or forwards it to other servers
- a SIP proxy
- first point of contact for the IMS terminal
- discovers its P-CSCF
- locates I-CSCF for the user
- provides subscriber authentication
- I-CSCF – acts as contact point in the operator’s network
- forwards SIP request or response to the S-CSCF
- Used for SIP functions such as Registration
- S-CSCF – maintains sessions for the registered users
- central node of the signalling plane
- handles SIP registrations, routing services, enforces the policy
MAPS™ can be used to simulate all of the interfaces listed above in an IMS network. A single MAPS™ can act as more than one entity at a time and generating required messages in the network.
The application is available as
- MAPS™ SIP IMS Protocol Emulator (Item # PKS127)
MAPS™ SIP IMS Emulator includes ready-to-use scripts, as per IETF specification. Test scripts include general messaging and call flow scenarios for multimedia call session setup and control over IP networks. Logging and pass/fail results are also reported. Test cases verify conformance of actions such as registration, call control, proxies and other servers.
The application gives the users the unlimited ability to edit protocol specific messages and control scenarios (message sequences). "Message sequences" are generated through scripts. "Messages" are created using message templates.
GL also provides an All-IP Packet Analyzer PacketScan™ for real-time capture and decode of the SIP signalling and RTP media for live systems.
- Simulates P-CSCF, I-CSCF, S-CSCF, PCRF, HSS, BGCF, MGCF elements in LTE IMS network supporting Cx/Dx, Rx, Gx, Gm, Mw, SGi, Mi, and Mj interfaces
- Simulate multiple UEs
- Supports IMS multi interface configuration simulating end-to-end Online and Offline charging procedures
- Supports both signaling and traffic simulation (RTP from simulated UE's and GTP from Real UE's) between any two IMS nodes
- Supports simulation of core network, access network, roaming architecture, interworking with other networks
- Complete IMS lab for End to End test solution.
- Test environment allows user to test each IMS network elements independently using single interface simulation or multi interface simulation
- Any of the network element within the lab environment can be replaced by DUT to test particular node working
- Integrate IMS core network easily with 2G, 3G, 4G or any PSTN networks to test any call scenario using remote MAPS™
- Build customized call scenarios as MAPS™ provides complete script based solution
- Test any applications and services using IMS core network
- Remote control/monitor all the interwork interfaces and elements using Remote MAPS™ application
- Cost effective solution