Frame Relay is another commonly used data link protocol based on packet switching technology. It is mainly incorporated by the corporate data networks due to its cost-effective data transmission, and flexible bandwidth. Frame relay is mostly used to connect local area networks with major backbones; also used in public wide area networks and in private network environments with leased lines over T3/E3 lines.
Low bit-rate voice compression algorithms such as ITU G.723.1 and G.729A permit the greatest number of simultaneous multiple calls while maintaining high quality voice. The data packets in Frame Relay are relayed as Frame Relay frames at the data link layer of the Open Systems Interconnection (OSI) model.
GL's T3 Frame Relay Protocol Analyzer can be used to analyze and decode frames conforming to Q.921, Q.922, LAPF, Frame Relay Forum standard -FRF.9 and FRF.12, Multiple Protocol Encapsulation, LCP RFC1661, Q.933 SVC and LMI SNAP, PPP, IP, SMTP, POP3 and so on.
Frame Relay Analyzer Main Features
- Supports decoding of encapsulated protocols, and long frames up to 16 Kbytes.
- Analyze Permanent Virtual Connection (PVC) and Switched Virtual Connection (SVC) frames
- Supports filtering and search features based on LAPF parameters and Q.933 layer parameters such as DLCIs, Message Type, FECN, BECN, DE, NLPID's TCP, IP, SMTP, POP3, and so on.
- Provides Summary View, Detail View, Hex dump, statistics, and call trace views.
- Summary view displays LAPF information like DLCI, FECN, BECN, Q.933 Message Type, IP address, TCP/UDP port address etc.
- Detailed view displays easy to understand decodes of user selected frame
- Statistics view displays statistics based on frame count, byte count, frames/sec, bytes/sec etc for the entire capture data.
- Hex dump view displays the frame information in HEX and ASCII format.
- Call Trace view displays called/ calling number, released calls, call status, & more.
- Capability to export summary as well as detail information to an ASCII file for subsequent import into a database or spreadsheet.
- Streams can be captured on the selected ports
- Multiple streams of traffic on various T3/E3 ports can be simultaneously decoded (single instance can decode multiple streams)