Call-center quality engineers, brokerages, government agencies, and other entities have a need to monitor fax transactions. Monitoring is done by recording the analog or IP traffic using suitable call capture applications. These files need to be decoded to investigate issues with protocol messages and Fax image quality.
FaxScan™ application is used to process 2-Wire and 4-Wire voice band capture files as well as Win PCAP captures to provide analysis of the T.38 packets, T.30 frames, decode a Fax TIF image, and general call-flow indicators for detail analysis. It is a valuable T.30 and T.38 debug and test tool, aiding significantly in system development. Fax sessions can contain standard G3 or V.34-based sessions.
- process up to V.34 T.30 recordings in 2-wire, 4-wire, µ-law, A-law, 16 bit, 14 bit, and 13 bit PCM captures (requires VBA038 License)
- process V.34 T.38 and SIP/RTP PCAP captures (requires PKV104 License) Win PCAP captures can be processed from T.38 packets alone or as part of a capture file with multiple SIP calls.
The application is available as a stand-alone command-line fax analysis application, and as an integrated module within GL's Voice Band Analyzer application.
FaxScan™ can work with popular packet capture applications such as GL’s PacketScan™ or Wireshark®, as well as TDM / 2-Wire capture applications such as GL’s tProbe™ T1 E1 FXO FXS Analyzer, and VQuad™ Dual UTA HD. FaxScan™ is also available as an integrated analysis module within Voiceband Analyzer (VBA032).
FaxScan™ can analyze the captured PCM and PCAP files from the above applications for decoding fax messages. The output of this application includes TIFF-F files containing the fax image, and fields for data rate, resolution, encoding (Modified-Huffman, Modified-Read, Modified-Modified-Read), page size, error-red lines, total lines, total pages, and more.
- 3 modes of operation depending on the type of input file: PCM, SIP, andT.38
- Supports 2-wire or 4-wire PCM captures that are sampled at 8-Khz only
- G.711 A-Law, µ-Law encoded 8-bit PCM data formats
- 13-bit linear PCM, and16-bit linear PCM data formats
- Supports Modems: V.8, V.17, V.21, V.27, V.29, V.33, V.34
- Output contains page-by-page packet statistics and Fax image summary
- Fax image output in TIFF-F format (as specified in RFC 2301)
- Creates detailed SIP Ladder diagram files for SIP calls
- Reports Modem Rate, Resolution, Encoding, and Page Size
- 2400, 4800, 7200, 9600, 12000, 14400, 16800, 19200, 21600, 24000, 26400, 31200, or 33600 bits per second
- HIGH (204x196dpi), LOW (204x98dpi), or SUPER_HIGH (204x391dpi)
- Modified Huffman (MH), Modified READ (MR), or Modified-Modified READ (MMR)
- A4, B4, or A3
- Single- and multi-page ECM and non-ECM fax sessions are supported
- Decoding of transmitter-only captures is supported for non-ECM faxes