GPRS and UMTS are evolutions of the Global System for Mobile Communications (GSM) networks. GPRS is a 2.5G mobile communications technology that enables mobile wireless service providers to offer their mobile subscribers with packet-based data services over GSM networks. Common applications of GPRS includes: Internet access, intranet/corporate access, instant messaging, and multimedia messaging. GPRS is standardized by the Third Generation Partnership Program (3GPP).
The GPRS/UMTS packet core is primarily composed of two major network elements:
- Gateway GPRS Support Node (GGSN) — A gateway that provides mobile cell phone users access to a public data network (PDN) or specified private IP network. The GGSN feature provides both the 2.5G GPRS and 3G UMTS GGSN functions.
- Serving GPRS Support Node (SGSN) — connects the Radio Access Network (RAN) to the GPRS/UMTS core and tunnels user sessions to the GGSN. The SGSN sends data to and receives data from mobile stations, and maintains information about the location of a mobile station (MS). The SGSN communicates directly with the MS and the GGSN.
GTP (GPRS Tunneling Protocol) allows multi-protocol packets to be tunneled through the UMTS/GPRS Backbone between GGSN and SGSN.
GL’s MAPS™ Gn Gp Interface Emulator is an advanced protocol simulator/tester for GTP simulation over Gn, Gp interfaces that can simulate GTP messages and signaling specification as defined in 3GPP TS 29.060 GPRS Tunneling Protocol (GTP) standard. The tester supports testing network elements SGSN and GGSN, error tracking, regression testing, and load testing/call generation. It can run pre-defined test scenarios against GTP interface test objects in a controlled & deterministic manner.
GTP Interface Emulator supports powerful utilities like Message Editor, Script Editor, and Profile Editor which allow new scenarios to be created or existing scenarios to be modified using GTP messages and parameters.
GL’s MAPS™ Gn Gp software benefits Network Equipment Providers of SGSN, and GGSN entities, with -
- Accelerated time to market
- Reduced development costs
- Reduced project risk of internally-developed GTP applications
GL has enhanced the MAPS™ protocol emulation tool to simulate multi-protocol and multi-interface offering a complete range of test solutions, covering the entire 2G, 3G, and 4G network.
By mimicking real-world customer behavior in lab environments, our solutions allow mobile operators and equipment manufacturers to verify their wireless networks before deployment. In other words, one can setup a virtual real-time network simulating all the network elements using “MAPS 3G Wireless Lab Suite”. The test suite supports simulation of IuH, IuCS, IuPS, C/D/Gr/Gd, and GnGp interfaces.
The product supports Mobile traffic core – GTP (ETH101) simulation for user-plane packet transmission and reception services between any two nodes in UMTS networks. Mobile Traffic Core – Gateway (ETH102) module allows simulation of Gateway Traffic to test media gateway telephony interfaces over IP. These modules also support generation and verification of data traffic such as Email, FTP, Web (HTTP), Video, and more.
MAPS™ GnGp Server with PacketLoad appliance supports massive simulation of UEs (up to 500000) with high-volume user-plane mobile data traffic simulation (up to 4 Gbps or 40 Gbps) for both UMTS, and LTE networks.
- Setup a virtual real-time network simulating 3G-UMTS network elements using ‘MAPS™ 3G Wireless Lab Suite’
- Simulates SGSN and GGSN.
- Supports GTP Control plane.
- Generates hundreds of Control Signaling (Load Testing).
- Generates and processes GTP messages.
- Supports GTP Traffic (GTP User Plane Data) which includes: verification like BERT testing, HTTP traffic generation capability, GGSN can actually be connected to real IP network to simulate Gateway testing
- High-volume user plane traffic simulation possible with support of Packet Load appliance; both 4Gbps and 40Gbps variants are available to suit customer needs.
- Auto generation feature allows Massive UE simulation for high density load testing.
- Insertion of impairments to create invalid messages.
- Supports customization of call flows and message templates using Script and Message editors.
- Supports scripted call generation and automated call reception.
- Script based & protocol independent software architecture.
- Provides Call Statistics and Events Status.
- Automation, Remote access, and Schedulers to run tests 24/7
- Provides fault insertion, and erroneous call flows testing capability.
- Functional testing, Regression testing and Conformance testing of network elements.
- Ready scripts makes testing procedure simpler, less time consuming and hence time to market products.
- QoS requests for greater or lesser bandwidth.
- UMTS lab setup can be used in educational institutions for training purposes