Benefits and Applications
Ultrasonic energy introduced into a dip solder pot eliminates the need for flux while enhancing many soldering processes. It also provides a means to bond solder to a number of materials including aluminum and glass that are difficult or impossible to solder using conventional soldering techniques. Blackstone-NEY Ultrasonics has perfected a technique for introducing ultrasonic energy into dip solder pots and is the exclusive manufacturer of this type of equipment in the world today.
Blackstone-NEY Ultrasonics' solder pots are activated by externally mounted transducers which allow large volume multi-part dipping. The systems' controls are adaptable to automated lines.
Electronic Component Tinning and Soldering
Component lead solderability is a major consideration when devices are to be incorporated into high reliability hardware such as that used by the military, human implants including pacemakers and defibrillators, and for aerospace applications. This is especially true in cases where the device, once installed, is not accessible for service. In these critical applications it is commonplace to "tin" component leads when they arrive at the assembly house and prior to going into storage. In some cases the component leads may again be "tinned" immediately prior to use. Ultrasonic tinning offers several advantages over conventional flux methods for high reliability lead tinning.
The ultrasonic soldering process does not use flux. Ultrasonic cavitation and implosion provide the mechanism to mechanically remove surface oxides to allow solder adhesion to take place. Since there is no flux used, there is no chance of solder splatter or the inclusion of flux or flux decomposition byproducts in the solder coating. The necessity to remove flux residues after soldering is also eliminated.
- Patented high efficiency piezoelectric transducers permanently attached to solder vessel
- Adjustable solid state thermocouple temperature control
- Temperature read-out on all TP-3D-2 and TP-6B units
- 300 series stainless steel solder vessel
- Stainless steel exterior surfaces
- Totally activated solder volume
- Solid state "autotuned" ultrasonic system
- Designed to withstand total power shutdown
- Fan cooled transducer and ultrasonic system
- Electrically grounded solder pot