An important challenge to manufacturers is to increase product quality, which can be achieved through 100% part inspection. Traditionally, X-ray Computed Tomography (CT) has been a valuable tool mainly used in research or prototyping labs to evaluate failures or spot defects. A proven engineering tool that was generally considered as too slow to be used on a production line.
That is until now! Recent advances in high-resolution high-flux rotating targets for X-ray sources, coupled with easy automation of CT scanning parameters and analysis techniques allow samples to be scanned, reconstructed and evaluated in under two minutes. This opens the gate to a broad span of automation inspection applications, varying from simple pass/fail inspection to full in-line automated CT inspection with feedback to the production process.
Benefits of automation
Advantage of Nikon CT automation
- Deskill complex tasks
- Increase quality by 100% part inspection
- Ensure repeatability of inspection
- Automatic rejection of fail parts
- Centralization of analysed data
- Integrated communication/automation process
- No programming skills needed
- Interfaces with 3rd party hardware and software