Defender 500 offers high efficiency cleaning of ventilated crankcase gases in diesel and gas engines. The unit reduces engine emissions and ensures maximum protection for the turbocharger and intercooler for closed crankcase systems.
A complete crankcase ventilation system
The Alfa Laval Defender 500 oil mist separator minimizes crankcase gas emissions. It serves as a complete engine crankcase ventilation system, including cleaning of gases and built in crankcase pressure control. By protecting the turbocharger and intercooler, the Defender 500 helps maintain high engine performance and prolong engine life for closed ventilation systems (CCV). The unit is designed for built-on installation on off-road, marine, rail, military and stationary engines covering a wide range of industries. Among others, it can be installed on construction vehicles, workboats, ferries and genset power stations.
Defender 500 fulfills emission legislation, ensures environmental and health safety as well turbo protection for CCV applications and it is maintenance free.
Efficiency of more than 98%
The Defender 500 uses centrifugal separation technology to clean the ventilated crankcase gases. Oil droplets and soot are removed from the blow-by and returned to the oil sump. Only clean blow-by gases are then returned to the engine turbo or to the ventilation outlet. Cleaning efficiency is more than 98% which is superior compared to most oil removal technologies.
Standing tough environments
Special features make the Defender 500 highly resistant to higher operating temperatures and allow operation at various angles, conditions often encountered in marine, offroad or rail applications. The Defender 500 will provide high cleaning performance and maintenance-free operation for the toughest engine duties.
Complying with emission regulations
The Defender 500’s capability to minimize oil aerosols and soot particles in crankcase gas will help builders of industrial diesel and gas engines for a broad range of applications to comply with the more stringent global emission regulations (Tier 4, for example) coming into force from 2015 onwards.
Features and benefits
- All-metal housing/casing, high temperature FKM (Viton) seals, off-road turbine: Optimized for the toughest off-road and high temperature duties.
- High performance disc stack technology: Cleaning efficiency higher than 98%.
- Integral pressure control valve: Maintains stable crankcase pressure.
- Hydraulic drive and compact, robust design: No external drive needed, suitable for a variety of conditions and duties.
- Oil return and re-use of drive oil: Minimum engine oil consumption.
- Minimizes coke deposits with clean inlet air (for CCV installations):
- Maximized turbocharger efficiency.
- Oil-free inlet air: Maximizes intercooler performance.
- Protects turbocharger and intercooler: Maintains high engine performance and prolongs engine life for closed ventilation systems (CCV).
- 90° “soft flow” connections: Improved flow characteristics.
- “Fit-and-Forget”, Defender 500 is sealed for life: No cleaning, no service, no replacement parts needed.
- Long working lifetime: Estimated 20,000 hours.
- Actively extracts gases from the crankcase: No pressure drop.
- Wide capacity range: Can be fitted to any gas or diesel engine, for larger capacities more than one unit can be installed.
- Manufactured and tested in Sweden: High quality manufacturing.
The Defender 500 has a capacity of up to 500 litres of blow-by gas per minute and is recommended for diesel and gas engines with displacements higher than 16 litres. For more information about available capacities, please check the table shown below and go to the Defender 500 documentation section to download the product data leaflet.