The RF2053 is a low power high performance wideband RF frequency conversion chip with integrated local oscillator (LO) generation and RF mixer. The RF synthesizer includes an integrated fractional-N phase locked loop that can control an external VCO to produce a low-phase noise LO signal with a very fine frequency resolution. The VCO output frequency can be divided by 1 2 or 4 in the LO divider whose output is buffered and drives the built-in RF mixer which converts the signal into the required frequency band. The mixer bias current can be programmed dependent on the required performance and available supply current. The LO generation blocks have been designed to operate with external VCOs covering the frequency range from 300MHz to 2400MHz. The RF mixer is very broad band and operates from 30MHz to 2500MHz at the input and output enabling both up and down conversion. An external crystal of between 10MHz and 52MHz or an external reference source of between 10MHz and 104MHz can be used with the RF2053 to accommodate a variety of reference frequency options. All on-chip registers are controlled through a simple three-wire serial interface. The RF2053 is designed for 2.7V to 3.6V operation for compatibility with portable battery powered devices. It is available in a plastic 32-pin 5mmx5mm QFN package.
- Fractional-N Synthesizer
- Very Fine Frequency Resolution 1.5Hz for 26MHz Reference
- 300MHz to 2400MHz External VCO Frequency Range
- On-Chip Crystal-Sustaining Circuit With Programmable Loading Capacitors
- Integrated LO Buffer and LO Divider
- High-Linearity RF Mixer
- Mixer Input IP3 +23dBm Typ.
- Mixer Bias Adjustable for Low Power Operation
- Mixer Frequency Range 30MHz to 2500MHz
- 2.7V to 3.6V Power Supply
- Low Current Consumption 50mA to 70mA at 3V
- 3-Wire Serial Interface