Skyworks SKY77604-11 is a hybrid multi-mode, multi-band Power Amplifier Module (PAM) that supports 2.5G and 3G handsets, and operates efficiently in GSM, EGPRS, EDGE WCDMA modes.
The PAM consists of a GSM800/EGSM900 PA block, a DCS1800/PCS1900 PA block, separate WCDMA blocks for low and high bands, RF input / output ports internally matched to 50 Ω to reduce the number of external components, and a Multi- Function Control (MFC) block. A custom BiCMOS integrated circuit provides the internal MFC interface and operation. Extremely low leakage current maximizes handset standby time.
2.5G: The SKY77604-11 supports the GSM850, EGSM900, DCS1800, and PCS1900 bands. The PAM also supports 2.5G Class 12 Enhanced General Packet Radio Service (EGPRS) multi-slot operation and EDGE linear modulation.
3G: The SKY77604-11 uses Load Insensitive Power Amplifier (LIPA®) circuitry to support WCDMA, High-Speed Downlink Packet Access (HSDPA), and High-Speed Uplink Packet Access (HSUPA) modulation at a high antenna Voltage Standing-Wave Ratio (VSWR). This functionality covers multiple bands for 3GPP including bands I, II, IV, IX, X, V, VIII.
The module is fully programmable through a Serial Peripheral Interface (SPI).
The InGaP die, the silicon die, and passive components are mounted on a multi-layer laminate substrate. The assembly is encapsulated with plastic overmold.
The SKY77604-11 is encapsulated in a 6 mm x 8 mm, 34-pad MCM, Surface-Mounted Technology (SMT) package, which allows for a highly manufacturable, low-cost solution.
- Hybrid architecture: separate GSM and WCDMA paths
- Separate single-ended GSM and WCDMA outputs, combined single-ended GSM and WCDMA inputs, all AC-coupled
- Multiplexed voltage detector for GMSK, EDGE modes; coupler output for 3G bands provided to transceiver for power control
- Fully programmable serial bus interface
- Final VCC stage for 2.5G/3G can attach to battery or buck DC/DC
- Driver stage for 3G can attach to battery or buck DC/DC
- 2.5G features:
- EGPRS Class 12 multi-slot operation
- Linear power detector
- Linear PA with bias optimization for efficiency/linearity tradeoff in 8-PSK mode
- 3G features:
- WCDMA mode supports output power and bandwidth for bands I, II, IV, IX, X, V, VIII
- Coupler output
- Linear balanced with bias optimization and low/high mode gain switch for best efficiency/linearity trade-off
- Small, low profile package:
- 6 mm x 8 mm x 0.9 mm
- 34-pin configuration