The axial magnetic bearing positions a rotor axially using electromagnetic forces pulling in opposition on the collar. The bearing collar is a flat, solid, ferromagnetic disc secured to the rotor.
Disc-shaped electromagnets are situated on either side of the collar and bolted to the machine housing, forming the active and inactive axial bearing.
BENEFITS OF MAGNETIC BEARING TECHNOLOGY
- Increased reliability and availability – robust design with ongoing enhancements
- Environmentally friendly – no lubricating oil and reduced equipment profile
- Increased plant safety – fewer system interfaces
- Enhanced rotordynamic control – remote connectivity for monitoring and diagnostics
- Lowest total cost of ownership – reduced energy consumption, virtually maintenance free